Although World Ocean Day is traditionally on 8 June every year, celebrating the ecosystem that covers more than 70% of our planet requires more than a single day. Where ever in the world you are, there are a broad range of exciting online World Ocean Week events organized by local, national, and global initiatives.
“The ocean has been and continues to protect the planet from the impacts of climate change, yet this protection has hurt the ocean,” says Kate Moran, ONC’s President and CEO. “Please take time this week to help advance its full protection."
World Ocean Week Activities 6-13 June 2021
- The 2021 World Ocean Day theme is a call for unified action to protect at least 30% of our blue planet by 2030. By safeguarding our ocean through a network of marine protected areas, we can work together to ensure a healthy planet for future generations! Check out the World Ocean Day's website for a round-up of global events that celebrate Big Blue.
- Ocean Week Canada was established through the Canadian Ocean Literacy Coalition as a central deliverable within the Canadian Ocean Literacy Strategy. Ocean Networks Canada (ONC) is the administrative home to the Canadian Ocean Literacy Coalition and a key contributor to World Ocean Week’s activities. Download the full schedule here a and keep reading to see ONC highlights.
- Oceans Week Victoria. ONC is proud to continue its support for this collaboration among local community organizations that help people learn and care about their big, blue backyard. Check out their website showcasing eight days of ocean love activities for all ages, including learning resources, challenges, and live online events.
- #VirtualBlueDecade, the University of Victoria Faculty of Fine Arts and Ocean Networks Canada present “Ocean Art Ocean Science: how 3 artists are using science to express care for the ocean” on Friday, 11 June 10.30 PDT | 18.30 BST
Join us for this unique #SciArt conversation from the perspective of three multidisciplinary artists working with ONC at the intersection of ocean art and science:
- Colton Hash, visual and data artist, ONC’s first artist-in-residence
- Dennis Gupa, applied theatre director, ONC’s second artist-in-residence
- Jol Thoms, visual artist, sound designer, researcher, and creator of Transmitting Care in Oceans installation on ONC’s deep-ocean neutrino observatory P-ONE.
The artists will explore ideas related to ways of observing and knowing, inter-relationality and care for our ocean. Participants will be invited to participate by sharing their impressions of featured works by each artist, and by submitting comments and questions to shape the conversation. The ocean has many stories to tell. Join us to co-create new stories of our ocean’s future.
ONC’s World Oceans Week K-12 Educational Activities
Tuesday, 8 June: World Ocean Day
- 10:00am - 11:00am PT Jellyfish Project Ocean-Climate A-Chord Concert. Middle and high school students will delight in this interactive event.
Thursday, 10 June 10
- 8:00am Discoveries from the Deep. Join ONC's K-12 educators, Jennifer Putland and Monika Pelz, for this engaging presentation. New discoveries in ocean science are happening every day thanks to scientists, technology, knowledge holders, and inquisitive, keen-eyed citizens. This presentation will explore a little of each of these aspects, and enrich your understanding of the ocean!
- 10:00am - 10:30am Exploring the Ocean with Underwater Robots. Meet an underwater remotely operated vehicle and learn how these useful tools are essential for ocean exploration and data collection.
Friday June 11
- 10:30am - 11:00am Grades 4-7 Classroom Trivia. Join co-hosts from ONC and Seaquaria Ocean Education for a half hour of fun ocean trivia. The winning class will receive a World Wildlife Foundation Great White Shark Adoption Kit!
- 1:30pm - 2:00pm Grades 8-12 Classroom Trivia. Join co-hosts from ONC and Seaquaria Ocean Education for a half hour of fun ocean trivia. The winning class will receive a World Wildlife Foundation Great White Shark Adoption Kit!
- 7:00pm – 8:00pm Pub Trivia (for adults). Join co-hosts from ONC and Seaquaria Ocean Education for a half hour of fun ocean trivia, and a chance to win cool prizes.